tfgjtbdph

Huge injury blow as midfield star could face eight weeks out

first_img1 Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson has broken his foot in training and is likely to be out for up to eight weeks, it has been reported.The 25-year-old England international suffered the injury to his right foot on Friday and is expected to undergo surgery on Monday, which will keep him sidelined for the next two months.Henderson sustained the injury in one of his first sessions back in action after he had returned from the US earlier in the week following treatment on a heel injury. The two injuries are believed to be unrelated – the heel injury was on the other foot to the one broken in training.He was in contention for Sunday’s game with Norwich. The games he will miss include Everton on October 4 and Chelsea on October 31.Henderson, who has featured just twice for Liverpool this season, is also unlikely to feature in England’s final Euro 2016 qualifiers against Estonia and Lithuania, and November’s friendlies with Spain and France. Liverpool star Jordan Henderson last_img read more

hnhuyhzyx

Ronaldo blow for Man United! ‘Real Madrid superstar wants to work with PSG coach’

first_img Cristiano Ronaldo 1 Cristiano Ronaldo reportedly told Paris Saint-Germain manager Laurent Blanc ‘I would love to work with you’ following Real Madrid’s 1-0 win over the French club on Tuesday.The Portuguese icon was caught on camera whispering in Blanc’s ear on the pitch at full time and now French newspaper Le Parisien claim he said: “Your team plays very well. I would love to work with you.”Sources in France have already revealed that mega-rich PSG are plotting a world record-breaking move for Ronaldo next summer, which could reach as much as £95m.The French club are preparing for the loss of Zlatan Ibrahimovic and they are desperate to bring in a name of similar stature in world football.Ronaldo has broken all club records during just over six staggering years in the Spanish capital, since arriving from Manchester United for £80m in 2009, but it is a spell which has included much speculation about his future.A sensational return to Old Trafford has been mooted but now PSG have been given hope by the forward, who recently described himself as a ‘legend’ of football.Now 30, Ronaldo has scored 233 goals in just 210 La Liga appearances for Madrid, including 48 in 35 last term, and is under contract until 2018.But PSG are one of the few clubs in the world with the financial might to prise him away from the Bernabeu.last_img read more

xkvfmblwq

‘He showed tremendous bravery and courage’ – Harry Arter hailed for heroic Man United display

first_imgJunior Stanislas has hailed Bournemouth teammate Harry Arter as ‘remarkable’ for his performance against Manchester United.Arter started for the Cherries on Saturday despite the death of his newborn daughter just days earlier and was outstanding as he helped his side secure a famous 2-1 win.“He showed tremendous bravery and courage to go out there and play,” said Stanislas, speaking on the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast.“As soon as we heard the news, we were all around him, giving him calls and messages and supporting him in training as well. But to deliver a performance like that under the circumstances was remarkable.”Stanislas scored the opener against United direct from a corner as Bournemouth, winners over Chelsea earlier this month, picked up another prized Premier League scalp.On his goal, the ex-West Ham man admitted: “I never meant to score it. I meant to put it in the box but the manager said to try and get as much whip and pace on the ball as you can and thankfully it has gone in.”The win over United stretched newly-promoted Bournemouth’s unbeaten run to four matches and moved Eddie Howe’s side up to 14th.“We are going into every game confident now,” added Stanislas. “Morale within the group and staff is very good. We are enjoying it and looking forward to the next one.“We have got pace on the counter and can cause problems and upset teams.”last_img read more

nvfqjpdxy

Yann M’Vila open to Sunderland stay…but only if they secure Premier League safety

first_imgSunderland star Yann M’Vila is willing to turn his loan stay into a permanent move in the summer, but only for Premier League football next season.The 25-year-old France midfielder has been one of the successes of a difficult campaign after making a season-long move to the Stadium of Light from Russian club Rubin Kazan.The Black Cats have an option to sign him outright in the summer, although his form has alerted a series of other potential suitors,Sunderland do appear to be at the head of the queue – provided they retain their top-flight status.M’Vila told the Sunderland Echo: “It’s important for me to sort out the contract issue with Rubin Kazan, but I have always said that my objective is to play in the Premier League.“I want to stay here and play in the Premier League with Sunderland. Hopefully we will stay up and they will make me an offer, and then we can get around the table and talk and hopefully we can continue the adventure.”M’Vila’s contract at Rubin will still have around six months to run at the end of the English season, although he does not want to return to Russia and is hoping his camp can negotiate his exit.He said: “At the moment I am speaking with a lawyer. I think my contract with Rubin Kazan runs until December 2016, so there is still six months to run from the end of the season.“I don’t really want to go back there and I don’t really think they want me back, so we are trying to find a way of terminating that deal so I can be a free agent, and then I will be in a better position to discuss future offers.” 1 Sunderland star Yann M’Vila last_img read more

onubsbzcf

Our forests need help of science

first_imgUnfortunately, this is not a unique situation. Plans to reduce fire risk by removing excess trees that endanger the giant sequoias in the Giant Sequoia National Monument have been targeted for obstruction – even though thinning there was agreed to by environmental groups when the monument was created by President Bill Clinton. No matter, another group called Earth Justice marched into court, beholden to a belief that no tree should ever be cut, the memory of the 2002 McNally Fire apparently lost on them. That fire burned more than 100,000 acres and came dangerously close to some of the giant sequoias. The Forest Service’s plan would thin the forest in strategic locations including removing some small trees that act as “ladder fuels” that fires climb into taller trees. But it’s on hold now – leaving the ancient giants at risk even today. And in 2004, two major fires hit Amador and El Dorado counties in Northern California, killing trees on tens of thousands of acres of forestland. Ash from the fire blanketed many areas, including Sacramento, where particulate in the air was 60 times the normal level, forcing people to stay indoors and canceling everything from family outings to football games. After the fire, registered foresters and a variety of scientists recommended that the Forest Service allow private companies to reduce the future fire risk by removing dead and dying trees – and paying the government for the wood removed. But rather than permitting the removal of these trees killed by wildfires and reducing future fire danger, extremist organizations sued, asking the court to block any removal. Meanwhile, the dead and dying trees rotted further every day, losing their value, and robbing the government and taxpayers of any funds that these private companies might be willing to pay for the wood. Such moneys could have been used to restore public forestland. Less than two months ago, this case was settled, allowing the Forest Service to remove some trees. But really, the three-year delay is a victory for the environmentalists since taxpayers won’t see any costs offset by the sale of the wood. It’s like in a football game where the winning team is already ahead so they run out the clock. And there won’t be any replanting of trees for future generations. If we want to pass along California’s rich forestland to our children, its time we embraced a balanced approach to forest management and environmental protection, looking to science rather than rhetoric to make policy decisions. Damien M. Schiff is an attorney for the Pacific Legal Foundation.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre One reason is that for years, groups that literally make a living by obstructing government efforts to manage forests have filed myriad lawsuits intended to delay, stall or stop anything resembling science. They seek to prevent the federal government from implementing balanced efforts to manage the land, including efforts to thin forests and brushland to help prevent catastrophic wildfire. Just last year in Southern California, the Center for Biological Diversity filed a lawsuit against reasonable forest management impacting more than 3.5 million acres in four National Forests. Interestingly, more than 100,000 of these same acres have now burned in the recent past in three of these forests – Angeles, San Bernardino and Cleveland. But the lawsuit proceeds. The results are policies based on myth instead of science. Forests are wildly overgrown, with hundreds of trees per acre where only 50 to 70 have been historically. The trees become weak, unable to get the nutrients and water they needed to survive. And that’s when bark beetles infest the trees that are too weak to fight back and many die – becoming perfect kindling for a catastrophic fire. Standing firmly opposed to any real management of forests before this year’s fires – and now as the flames die down – are unapologetic environmental extremists like the Center for Biological Diversity. THE massive toll catastrophic wildfire exacts on human lives and property is well documented. Since Oct. 20, the ongoing Southern California fires have scorched nearly 500,000 acres – roughly three-fourths the size of Rhode Island, prompted the largest evacuation since the Civil War, caused 12 deaths and injured hundreds, all at a cost yet to be determined but which some think will top $2billion. And there are other consequences as well, including endangered wildlife dead, watersheds dramatically damaged by ash and erosion, and native plants wiped out. But the underlying causes of these monster fires aren’t as well understood. Why do they keep happening at such intensity? last_img read more

fyyyrvtlm

Around Whittier

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre More fundraisers are being planned to help the family with what they estimate will be $86,000 in expenses. For information or to donate, visit cotaforgregoryr.com, or call (562) 355-4748. Real snow job for La Mirada LA MIRADA – The Granada Heights Friends Church at 12000 La Mirada Blvd. will host its fifth annual Family Snow Day from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Nov. 17. The church will kick off the holiday season with 20 tons of real snow, play areas and three sled runs. Admission is free with a small cost for food purchases. For more information contact Teri Elfelt at (562) 943-7255, Ext. 25. Teachers display art in gallery WHITTIER – Rio Hondo College’s visual arts faculty will present “Nice Work if You Can Get It,” a collective show of their creative efforts, at the College Art Gallery, 3600 Workman Mill Road. The exhibit will be on display from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Thursday through Nov. 21. Works represented include paintings, drawings, sculpture, ceramics, photography, digital art and printmaking. For more information, call (562) 789-4047. Deputies raise drug awareness WHITTIER – The West Whittier Community Advisory Committee will host a meeting at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at Sorensen Park, 11419 Rose Hedge Drive. Thd guest speaker, Deputy Armando Alvarado of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, will speak on drug awareness. For more information call Lt. Voza at the sheriff’s Norwalk station at (562) 863-8711 or Deputy Zarda at the sheriff’s Pico Rivera station at (562) 949-2421. Patriotic essays shared on Sunday PICO RIVERA – Winners of the annual “Voice of Democracy” Audio Essay Competition will be invited to share their essays at the Veterans Day ceremony at 10 a.m. Sunday at the Veterans Monument at Rosemead Boulevard and Mines Avenue. The theme for this year’s program was “My Role In Honoring America’s Veterans.” The winners were judged on originality of essays, delivery and content. For more information, visit vfw.org. Breakfast with ol’ St. Nick LA HABRA – Families are invited to have breakfast with Santa Claus at the Children’s Museum, 301 S. Euclid St. The breakfast will take place in three seating sessions, 8:30a.m., 9:45 a.m. and 11 a.m. Dec. 1 and 2. Admission costs $8 for children and $10 for adults. Children younger than 2 get in for free. Reservations are required. For more information or to make a reservation, call Jane Ivory at (562) 905-9647. – From staff reports 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! A bake sale, sponsored by the La Mirada Baseball Association, will take place to raise money for Gregory Ramsey, an 11-year-old Pico Rivera boy receiving treatment for a rare blood disease. The bake sale will be from noon to 4 p.m. Saturday at the La Mirada Baseball Association playing fields at Rosecrans Avenue and Beach Boulevard. The community is invited to bring baked goods to donate. Cash and checks will also be accepted. Gregory suffers from Fanconi anemia and must be given a bone-marrow transplant to survive. He, along with his parents and younger brother, Christopher, left Southern California for treatment at Minnesota University Medical Center in October. All proceeds from the bake sale will go to the Ramsey family to help defray the cost of treatment and travel to Minnesota. last_img read more

qtvziannn

HUNDREDS INSPIRED BY DONEGAL COUPLE WHO HAD ‘MIRACLE’ EYE OP

first_imgTHEY WERE the talk of the nation this week – and now Castlefin couple Tony and Marie Canning have inspired hundreds of people.The retired Garda and teacher wife became the first couple in Ireland to both undergo MPlus lens replacement treatment – allowing them to ditch their glasses for life!Donegaldaily.com has been inundated with responses from people wanting to do the same. Mr and Mrs Canning ditched their 13 pairs of glasses after having the revolutionary new lenses inserted at the Cathedral Eye Clinic in Belfast.Andrew Spence, a director at the clinic, told us: “We are so delighted for Marie and Tony. What has happened since they told their story is that so many other people like them want to do the same.“If people contact us we can try to help them.”The Clinic can be called on 048 90 322020. HUNDREDS INSPIRED BY DONEGAL COUPLE WHO HAD ‘MIRACLE’ EYE OP was last modified: January 8th, 2011 by gregShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

bcnwtysny

Watch the new trailer for FIFA 17 featuring Martial, Hazard, Reus and Rodriguez

first_imgIt’s not out until 29 September, so EA Sports are teasing us with this trailer for FIFA 17.Three options are available for those of you who want to order the game ahead of its release date: Super Deluxe, Deluxe and Standard editions.Real Madrid’s James Rodriguez, Man United’s Anthony Martial, Marco Reus of Borussia Dortmund and Chelsea playmaker Eden Hazard all feature in the ad as does the voice of Man United manager Jose Mourinho.It means there will be no Lionel Messi on the cover for the first time since 2012.Check out the FIFA gaming section on the talkSPORT YouTube channel here.last_img

djnribqiv

DONE DEAL! Leicester City complete signing of Nigerian international Ahmed Musa

first_imgLeicester have completed the signing of striker Ahmed Musa from CSKA Moscow on a four-year deal, subject to Premier League and Football Association approval.The Foxes moved swiftly to make the Nigeria international their fourth signing of the summer after he hit 13 goals in 30 league games for CSKA last term.The 23-year-old joins Nampalys Mendy, Ron-Robert Zieler and Luis Hernandez as boss Claudio Ranieri looks to build on his side’s stunning title triumph last season. Musa told Foxes Player HD: “I feel very happy joining Leicester City, for me it’s one of the best clubs and I feel very happy. I joined because it’s one of the best clubs in the Premier League and they are like a family. That’s why I joined Leicester City and I’m very excited.“I look forward to seeing the fans in the new season and I will do my best to make them happy.”Musa moved from Nigeria to Dutch side VVV Venlo in 2010 before catching the eye of CSKA two years later and becoming a permanent fixture in the Russian Premier League.He has also scored 11 goals in 58 games for his country, including a brace against Argentina in the 2014 World Cup. Ahmed Musa in action for CSKA Moscow 1last_img read more