TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Sporting CP target Liverpool winger Rafa Camachoby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveLiverpool are expected to release Rafa Camacho for loan next month.The Liverpool Echo says Sporting CP want their ex-academy star for the rest of the season, with a number of Championship clubs also interested.Camacho, 18, can play across the front line and was also used as a full-back in an impressive pre-season campaign under Jurgen Klopp.After starring in America, his performances in the Uefa Youth League have brought him plenty of suitors.The Portugal Under-20s international is yet to make his first-team debut but could be contention next season if he can gain experience on a short-term deal elsewhere.
Barcelona coach Valverde admits Dembele dismissal baffled himby Carlos Volcano19 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveBarcelona coach Ernesto Valverde admits Ousmane Dembele’s dismissal against Sevilla baffled him.Dembele was sent off late in Barcelona’s win for comments made to the referee just moments after Ronald Araujo was shown a straight red himself.It has been reported that the Frenchman said “very bad, you’re very bad” to the referee, which saw him given his marching orders.”I don’t know what he said,” Valverde said when asked for his opinion in his post-match press conference.”But I don’t think it was too long a sentence.”With the Araujo dismissal on his debut, it didn’t seem like a foul to me.”Then the Dembele one is a mystery.”Looking at the match as a whole, Valverde was understandably delighted to finish with such a comprehensive scoreline.”It was a complicated and important game for us,” he explained.”They’ve had a lot of chances, but this is what it is.”They left spaces and we had more punch, which proved key.” About the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say
Chelsea winger Christian Pulisic eyeing loan move awayby Paul Vegas19 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveChelsea winger Christian Pulisic is eyeing a loan move away in January.The Daily Mailsays he is said to be considering asking for a loan move away from Chelsea if he is not given more opportunities soon.Pulisic has found himself falling down the pecking order at Stamford Bridge just three months after completing his £58million move from Borussia Dortmund.The 21-year-old has been an unused sub in the last three Premier League matches – and hasn’t been seen in top flight action since August.Now the American is open to the prospect of moving elsewhere in January if Frank Lampard continues to overlook him in his Chelsea plans. TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
Burnley defender Kevin Long admits lack of action frustratingby Paul Vegas13 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveBurnley defender Kevin Long admits his lack of action this season is frustrating.The Republic of Ireland defender’s only appearance for the Clarets this season came in the EFL Cup exit at home to Sunderland in August. “It can be frustrating,” he told the Irish media.“If other lads for Burnley or Ireland are playing well, there’s not much I can do.“I spoke to Mick briefly about it in the past. He wants me playing games, first and foremost, but is aware of the position I’m in at Burnley.“He’s stuck by me and hopefully I can repay him for that.“If I get a chance on Saturday, I’ll be ready to take it with both hands. This match, and the trip to Switzerland on Tuesday, are huge games. They’re the type of you want to be involved in.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
Leicester keeper Schmeichel says being late bloomer is career motivationby Paul Vegas5 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveLeicester City goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel says being a late bloomer has helped his career motivation.The Dane made his international debut at 26, though is now regarded among the best keepers in the world. He reached a personal national team landmark last week against Switzerland. Schmeichel made super four saves in the 1-0 European Championships qualifying win.And the Foxes favourite admits his late career recognition is now working in his favour. At 32 years of age, Schmeichel insists he’s as ambitious and motivated as ever.Now boasting 50 caps, he was quoted by Bold as saying, “It was a big motivating factor that I was not involved in the national team earlier in my career, but I am grateful to be part of it now and it makes me proud to play 50 games for my country – now I just hope for 50 more.”If I don’t last five years, then I will be disappointed.”Indeed, while not taking anything for granted, Schmeichel is adamant that thoughts of retirement are far into the future. The goalkeeper, who is in his eighth year with Leicester, is determined to make the most of a period in his career where he is now reaching his peak. After spells with the likes of Darlington and Bury, Schmeichel is grateful for his current status in the game.He added: “You can’t plan in football. Anything can happen. You can get hurt tomorrow and not have the opportunity to come back, so you have to be grateful every time you are teamed up with the national team.”Every match I get in the Parken in front of such an audience, I am incredibly grateful for, because it happens so rarely. We must be proud of all the matches we can fight for the national team.”- updated 21/10 About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
jamal danley facebook postIn 2014, Oklahoma posted an 8-5 record, finished fourth in the Big 12, and got blasted by Clemson in the Russell Athletic Bowl, 40-6. In the offseason, the Sooners made a number of coaching changes – especially on the offensive side of the ball – in an attempt to reestablish dominance in the conference. A year later, they’re 11-1 and a lock to make the College Football Playoff.Tuesday, junior offensive lineman Jamal Danley, who was a four-star JUCO transfer this year, posted a Facebook message that was written to him while he was making his decision on where to play in 2015. The post, which looks to have been sent by a fan, focuses on Oklahoma’s demise and calls Danley “SEC material.” Danley clearly finds it amusing, seeing where OU is right now.1 year later! pic.twitter.com/Z9HiJrX8NG— Jamal Danley™ (@JDanley54) November 30, 2015Oklahoma has off this week as it prepares for to play for a national championship. Apparently, not everyone saw that coming a year ago.
Twitter/@ESPNCFBOklahoma running back Joe Mixon is in hot water again.Mixon was suspended last night for this week’s game against Iowa State after an unspecified incident with a parking attendant. Details of the incident have since been reported, and they don’t paint Mixon in the best light.According to The Oklahoman, Mixon tore up a parking ticket he had received and threw it on the ground in front of the attendant.At 9:30 a.m. Tuesday, Mixon was given a parking citation on the north oval, said his attorney, Blake Johnson.“He was frustrated, as most of us are when we get a ticket,” Johnson said. “He tore the ticket up in front of the parking attendant, and threw it on the ground.”Later that afternoon, at 1:30 p.m., Johnson said the parking attendant filed a complaint with OUPD.“We are very confident that Joe did nothing criminal,” Johnson said.“He’s been suspended for this Thursday’s game, and he understands and accepts that.”Mixon previously missed the entire 2014 season after being suspended for punching a woman in the face at an off-campus restaurant.This season, Mixon leads the Sooners in rushing with 813 yards and is second in rushing touchdowns with five. He’s also second on the team in receptions (24) and receiving yards (357).With Mixon suspended and Samaje Perine injured, OU is down to its third-string running back this weekend: freshman Abdul Adams. Oklahoma plays Iowa State at 7:30 p.m. ET on Saturday.
Ousmane Dembele would be a “fantastic signing for Liverpool”, says Danny Murphy, with the Barcelona winger considered to be a better option for the Reds than Philippe Coutinho.A raid on the ranks at Camp Nou continues to be mooted for those at Anfield.Some 18 months on from agreeing to part with Brazil international Coutinho, it has been suggested that the 27-year-old could be brought back to Merseyside. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Ox-rated! Dream night in Genk for Liverpool ace after injury nightmare Messi a man for all Champions League seasons – but will this really be Barcelona’s? He is not the only Barca star said to be in Liverpool’s sights, though, with World Cup winner Dembele considered to be an alternative target.Murphy believes a move for the Frenchman would make sense, telling bwin: “Dembele would be a fantastic signing for Liverpool.“He’s not had the best time at Barcelona, but clearly has an abundance of talent and the ability to win games by himself.“If he can recapture his belief in his ability then Liverpool would have a formidable front three with him, [Sadio] Mane and [Mohamed] Salah.“When playing to his potential, I think he would edge [Roberto] Firmino out of the first team.“Firmino is the type of player that would raise his own game and everyone’s around him if Dembele came into the team.“He’ll fight for his place week in, week out and, if you’re not giving your all on the pitch, then Firmino will be right there to take it.”Murphy is not convinced that Liverpool should be looking to re-sign Coutinho, with there better options out there when it comes to trying to bolster the ranks of creativity available to Jurgen Klopp.The former Reds midfielder added: “Liverpool would be taking a step backwards if they re-signed Coutinho.“Coutinho is at his best when playing in a central three, not wide left. If he were to come back, he would change the dynamic of the team and it would disrupt the balance.“Liverpool’s midfield three are all super athletes who defend as much as they attack, which they’ll lose if playing Coutinho there.“Klopp had the ability to try a different formation once Coutinho departed and the results speak for themselves. It would be risky to revert back to accommodating Coutinho.“There’s always room for a creative player, but Liverpool should be looking at a player like Ousmane Dembele or [Wilfried] Zaha, not Coutinho.” Subscribe to Goal’s Liverpool Correspondent Neil Jones’ weekly email bringing you the best Liverpool FC writing from around the web
Lionel Messi expects to be out of action for “a little while” after suffering a calf injury during Barcelona training on Monday.The Argentina star sustained a grade one strain to his right calf muscle in his first session back with La Liga’s champions after his post-Copa America holiday.The 32-year-old will miss Barca’s pre-season trip to the United States while he recovers from the problem. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Ox-rated! Dream night in Genk for Liverpool ace after injury nightmare Messi a man for all Champions League seasons – but will this really be Barcelona’s? Although Barca have not put a timeframe on his recovery, Messi does not seem to think the injury will keep him sidelined for long.”I was looking forward to starting and unfortunately I had an accident in the first training session that will leave me out for a little while,” he wrote on Instagram.”I’m grateful for all your messages and displays of affection, I wanted to be with the team and with the people who follow us in the USA.”It wasn’t to be this time, but we’ll see each other again soon. A hug to everyone.”Barca face Napoli in Miami and Ann Arbor this week in the final stretch of their pre-season duties.They begin their league title defence away to Athletic Bilbao on August 16.Messi has vowed that the Blaugrana will look to challenge on all fronts in the 2019-20 campaign, with there a desire on the part of everyone at Camp Nou to chase down major honours at home and abroad.He said 12 months ago that the Champions League would be a top priority for Ernesto Valverde’s side, but has no regrets at making that statement and has reiterated that silverware is a must once more.Messi told supporters ahead of a friendly date with Arsenal: “It’s hard to say something after last season, but I don’t regret anything.“But I have no doubt that together we are going to fight again for everything. We won eight League titles in 11 years. We do not give it the value it deserves but over the years we will see how difficult it was.“This club fights for everything and this year will be no different. We have renewed dreams. Visca Barca and Visca Catalunya!”
Paulo Dybala and Lautaro Martinez headline Argentina’s squad for upcoming friendlies against Chile and Mexico with Lionel Messi missing through suspension.Lionel Scaloni named a 27-man squad on Sunday, featuring seven uncapped players including Alexis Mac Allister, Leonardo Balerdi, Nicolas Figal, Lucas Martinez, Nicolas Dominguez, Lucas Ocampos and Adolfo Gaich.Mac Allister, 20, is on loan at Boca from Premier League club Brighton and Hove Albion, who signed the attacker in January. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Ox-rated! Dream night in Genk for Liverpool ace after injury nightmare Messi a man for all Champions League seasons – but will this really be Barcelona’s? Of the seven, five currently ply their trade in Argentina with Balerdi currently featuring for Borussia Dortmund while Ocampos is on the books at Sevilla. Argentina, who finished third at the Copa America, are without superstar Messi as the forward serves a ban.The Barcelona star is set to miss out after criticising the officiating at this summer’s Copa America, alleging that CONMEBOL was “corrupt” in favour of hosts Brazil. CONMEBOL opted to suspend Messi for Argentina’s next three matches while hitting him with a $50,000 (£41,000) for his controversial comments.As a result, Messi will miss the friendly matches against Chile and Mexico as well as an October friendly against Germany and a one-match World Cup qualifying ban.Estos son los futbolistas convocados para la #SelecciónMayor y #Sub23 que jugarán amistosos en el mes de septiembre en fecha FIFA pic.twitter.com/oI9tqXYwSP — Selección Argentina (@Argentina) August 18, 2019 It is an inexperienced squad for the friendlies in September, with Sergio Aguero and Angel Di Maria among the players joining Messi in missing out on the pair of matches.Argentina are set to take on Chile at the Los Angeles Coliseum on September 5 before taking on Mexico at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas five days later.The fixtures will be Argentina’s first matches since they defeated Chile 2-1 in the Copa America third-place playoff on July 6.Goalkeepers: Esteban Andrada (Boca Juniors), Franco Armani (River Plate) and Agustin Marchesin (Porto).Defenders: Nicolas Otamendi (Manchester City), German Pezzella (Fiorentina), Leonardo Balerdi (Borussia Dortmund), Marcos Rojo (Manchester United), Lucas Martinez Quarta (River Plate), Gonzalo Montiel (River), Nicolas Figal (Independiente), Nicolas Tagliafico (Ajax).Midfielders: Marcos Acuna (Sporting CP), Leandro Paredes (Paris Saint-Germain), Guido Rodriguez (Club America), Giovani Lo Celso (Tottenham), Nicolas Dominguez (Velez), Rodrigo De Paul (Udinese), Matias Zaracho (Racing), Roberto Pereyra (Watford), Exequiel Palacios (River Plate), Lucas Ocampos (Sevilla), Manuel Lanzini (West Ham), Alexis Mac Allister (Boca).Forwards: Joaquin Correa (Lazio), Lautaro Martinez (Inter), Paulo Dybala (Juventus) and Adolfo Gaich (San Lorenzo).