MEXICO CITY – Scott Pruett won the pole for today’s Telcel-Motorola 200, the third race south of the border in NASCAR’s Busch Series. Pruett averaged 103.647 mph on his fastest lap Saturday in the No. 41 Dodge on the 2.518-mile Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez course. Mexico City native Carlos Contreras was second at 103.407 mph in a 22 Dodge, and Juan Pablo Montoya, the Colombian star who jumped from Formula One to NASCAR last season, qualified third at 103.391 mph in a Dodge. Montoya finished first in Friday’s practice and blamed changes in his car for his third place Saturday. “Yesterday the car had really good balance and today they made some changes and the car became really tight,” Montoya said. “I told them we shouldn’t make the changes but they said it will be better. I guess it wasn’t. “Things like that will happen and it’s quite a learning curve. But hopefully we have a decent chance of winning tomorrow.” Mexican Jorge Goeters, the pole winner in 2005, was fourth at 103.203. The 46-year-old Pruett said his road-course expertise should give him the edge. “I’ve had experience on road courses, which will give me a bit of an advantage. As long we do things smart and make the right calls on stops we’ve got a shot to win it,” Pruett said. “Our car is running is good and we are going to just keep doing what we are doing.” Contreras ecstatic about his performance. “I don’t believe it. I’m very happy. Can you see my face, my smile?” Contreras said. “Respects to Scott. You beat me man. You’re fast. But tomorrow is a different day. There are different strategies and there are 80 laps not one.” Defending champion Denny Hamlin qualified fifth. “Last year, we just knew from a month before hand we were going to win. I kind of have that same confidence this year,” he said. “Scott Pruett and Juan Pablo Montoya have the road-course background and are with awesome teams, so we are going to step up our game to beat them.” 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Junior Stanislas has hailed Bournemouth teammate Harry Arter as ‘remarkable’ for his performance against Manchester United.Arter started for the Cherries on Saturday despite the death of his newborn daughter just days earlier and was outstanding as he helped his side secure a famous 2-1 win.“He showed tremendous bravery and courage to go out there and play,” said Stanislas, speaking on the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast.“As soon as we heard the news, we were all around him, giving him calls and messages and supporting him in training as well. But to deliver a performance like that under the circumstances was remarkable.”Stanislas scored the opener against United direct from a corner as Bournemouth, winners over Chelsea earlier this month, picked up another prized Premier League scalp.On his goal, the ex-West Ham man admitted: “I never meant to score it. I meant to put it in the box but the manager said to try and get as much whip and pace on the ball as you can and thankfully it has gone in.”The win over United stretched newly-promoted Bournemouth’s unbeaten run to four matches and moved Eddie Howe’s side up to 14th.“We are going into every game confident now,” added Stanislas. “Morale within the group and staff is very good. We are enjoying it and looking forward to the next one.“We have got pace on the counter and can cause problems and upset teams.”
Chelsea’s Spanish forward Diego Costa on Thursday confirmed his intention to return to Spanish football giants Atletico Madrid during the current summer transfer window.The 28-year-old Spain international had fallen out of favour with Chelsea’s Italian coach, Antonio Conte, who reportedly asked him at the end of last season via a text message to search for another club, reports Efe.”My destination is already made,” Costa said in a statement. “I must return to Atletico Madrid.””It turns out that there is the impasse that Chelsea does not want to release me,” Costa added. “But I believe that this situation will be resolved now on my return to Spain.”The Brazilian-born forward has been in Brazil since last season ended, but the English Premier League’s defending champions have expressed their wish to have him join their current training sessions.Costa’s attorney, Ricardo Cardoso, confirmed last week of his client’s intention to present a transfer request to the Blues.Cardoso did not rule out taking legal action against Chelsea to ensure his departure from Stamford Bridge.Chelsea, who paid 32 million pounds ($41.2 million) to sign Costa in 2014 from Atletico, seeks a 50-million pound (around $64 million) bid to let him leave, which is 26 million pounds ($33 million) more than what the La Liga side is offering.If a deal were to be finally reached, Costa would not be able to play with Atletico during the first half of the season due to FIFA’s ban that prevents the Spanish club from registering new players until January 2018.advertisement