FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Melissa Cronin for Grist:“Another Pipeline Rejected” is now the go-to headline for updates on new fossil fuel infrastructure in the United States. Does the growing file of scrapped pipeline plans forecast the “Keystone-ization” of our energy future? Yes — proposals for pipelines to transport oil and natural gas are being brought down by public protest so frequently, we now have a term for it.A quick review: On Friday, the New York Department of Environmental Conservation announced that it would not grant a necessary permit for the 124-mile Constitution Pipeline proposed to run through the northeastern United States. The Earth Day announcement came after backlash regarding potential safety issues from residents, as well as from Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), who said that the plan would be “catastrophic to our air and our climate.” The DEC ultimately refused to grant the permit after concluding that the pipeline would interfere with water resources in its path.This latest decision follows the rejection, just days prior, of a $3.1 billion natural gas plan proposed by Kinder Morgan. Before that, the 550-mile Atlantic Coast Pipeline, which would have run through Virginia and West Virginia, was delayed earlier this year. Georgia’s 360-mile Palmetto Pipeline and Oregon’s 232-mile Pacific Connector Pipeline were both thwarted in March. All that went down in 2016 alone.The mother of all these killed projects is, of course, the Keystone XL pipeline, a $7 billion undertaking that would have ferried 800,000 barrels of crude oil a day from Canada to the Gulf Coast — had President Barack Obama not vetoed it last November. Since that decision, the phrase “Keystone-ization” has come to connote the death of a proposed oil and gas pipeline — often due to public backlash.“Fifty years ago, people in the U.S. were much more accepting of new pipelines and new infrastructure,” Rob Jackson, a professor at the Stanford University’s Woods Institute for the Environment who studies energy use and climate change, told Grist. “Today, people don’t want new pipelines and nuclear power plants near their homes and schools. The failure of Keystone emboldened people to fight the next project.”“Keystone-ization” is the fossil fuel industry’s new nightmare How Keystone Set a Template for Pipeline Opposition Nationally
The club have, though, been charged with failing to control their players after they furiously harangued referee Robert Madley. An FA statement read: “Fabricio Coloccini will not serve a one-match suspension after his wrongful dismissal claim was successful. “An Independent Regulatory Commission found that the match referee had made an obvious error in dismissing the Newcastle United defender for denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity during the game against Sunderland on Sunday 25 October 2015. “Newcastle United have been charged for failing to control their players in relation to their reaction to the match referee’s decision. “The club have until 6pm on 30 October 2015 to respond to the charge.” Newcastle’s successful appeal means Coloccini will now be available for Saturday’s home Premier League fixture against Stoke. It is a boost for Steve McClaren’s side, but the bitter taste of the game-changing sending-off will remain. Newcastle had been on top at the Stadium of Light until the decision, which allowed Adam Johnson to slot home from the penalty spot. Billy Jones tapped home a second with 25 minutes remaining and Steven Fletcher added a third as Sunderland recorded a sixth successive derby win. Press Association Tempers frayed at the Stadium of Light after the Magpies captain was given a straight red card in first-half injury time, having appeared to bundle over Sunderland striker Steven Fletcher as he raced towards goal. Newcastle lodged an appeal after the 3-0 loss for wrongful dismissal – something the FA accepted, meaning Coloccini will now not have to serve a one-match ban. Newcastle have successfully appealed Fabricio Coloccini’s red card in the Tyne-Wear derby, although the Football Association has charged the club with failing to control their players in the aftermath of that decision in the defeat to Sunderland.
The No. 12 USC women’s volleyball team had a shaky start at the Michigan State University Showcase tournament but managed to leave with two sweeps on the last day of competition.The Women of Troy lost their season opener against tournament host Michigan State in five sets (23-25, 27-25, 25-18, 22-25, 15-9) but bounced back the following day, sweeping North Carolina (25-11, 25-22, 25-16) and Albany (25-16, 25-14, 25-21).On track · Sophomore outside hitter Alex Jupiter continued where she left off last season, leading USC in kills in the opening tournament. – Joshua Sy | Daily TrojanThe Spartans outhit the Women of Troy .248 to .167 in Friday’s tournament opener. USC built a 17-11 lead in the first set, but a hitting error by junior outside hitter Kimmee Roleder allowed Michigan State to close the gap. USC pulled out the first set, but the Spartans responded to win the next two sets behind competitive play.It looked like the Spartans would take the fourth set as well after the Women of Troy committed three hitting errors in a row. But senior outside hitter Jessica Gysin tied the score at 20-20, and sophomore outside hitter Alex Jupiter used her powerful kill and blocking to break the tie and give USC the chance to head to one more set.The chance alone was not enough to give the USC the win, however. The Spartans ran away with the lead in the final set, despite sophomore setter Kendall Bateman and Jupiter’s best efforts.Jupiter showcased a team-high 20 kills and 14 digs while hitting .250 in the loss. Gysin contributed 17 kills and nine digs, and Bateman had a career-high 55 assists to go along with five digs and two blocks. USC also debuted three freshman players: outside hitter Katie Fuller and defensive specialists Carolyn Hillgren and Erin Yoder.Saturday proved to be a better day for USC. In the second game of the tournament against North Carolina, Jupiter once again led her team with 11 kills, while four other Women of Troy had eight or more kills. USC started the match with a 10-8 lead in the first set, when Roleder, junior middle blocker Zoe Garrett and junior defensive specialist Geena Urango took a lead and ran with it.Jupiter and Garrett stole the lead from the Tarheels with a few intense kills in the second set, giving the Women of Troy a 2-0 advantage heading into the third set.It was all smooth sailing from there for USC, as it used a 5-1 run to build an 11-6 lead and finish off the match.The team only had a few hours to rest before it was at it again, competing in its last match of the tournament against Albany. where USC’s positive energy traveled right into the next game.Roleder had 11 kills against the Great Danes and hit an impressive .526. Jupiter also had 11 kills and added three service aces. Urango chipped in two more aces, as well as six digs and eight kills.USC hit .356 and recorded seven aces in the match, while holding Albany to .187 hitting.The Women of Troy head back to Los Angeles to play their first home game next weekend, where they will host the Holiday Inn LA City Center Trojan Invitational. Their first match is Thursday against Florida Gulf Coast, 7 p.m. at the Galen Center.