Print WhatsApp Advertisement Facebook Linkedin NewsLocal NewsSt. John’s Hospital remains under cloudBy admin – October 30, 2009 593 THE future for St. John’s Hospital has been called into question following the rumoured closure of the ground floor and further beds, with a local deputy insisting that the services at the hospital are needed now, more than ever.And the hospital’s acting CEO John Cummins warned: “We don’t know what will happen next year…we could all be gone”.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Deputy Jan O’Sullivan TD, said while the ground floor was closed for most of last year, she “would not be surprised if it were to close again”.“Its a crazy situation to be in at the moment”, Deputy O’Sullivan told the Limerick Post, “closing wards because of cutbacks when the health service is under additional pressure due to swine-flu, and the expected cuts as a result of the budget, doesn’t make sense.“St. John’s provide a wonderful service but there is no logic in closing acute hospital beds and bringing patients in through A&E, putting this service under extra pressure”.She added that the substantial sums that have been reportedly paid out in sick pay to HSE workers, could cover the cost of keeping numerous beds open.A long-term patient at the hospital told the Post that, while he owes his life to staff at St. John’s, “ morale is in the gutter, as they do not know what the future holds”.He questioned if the hospital would “follow in the footsteps of Barringtons”.Deputy chief executive at St. John’s, John Cummins, said that he was not aware of plans to close the ground floor, but that it remains to be seen what the future for the hospital will be, following December’s budget.“We just received funding to reopen the ground floor in July of last year, and I am not aware of any plans for its closure. But we don’t now what will happen next year. We could all be gone”.Deputy O’Sullivan is to raise a parliamentary question regarding the future for St. John’s Hospital. Twitter Email Previous articleThomas Street has escaped economic downturn – ClarkeNext articleVacant sites in NAMA threat admin
News Updates’Threat By Using Caste Name’ : Madras High Court Restrains National SC/ST Commission, TNHRC From Taking Cognizance Of Karnan’s Complaints LIVELAW NEWS NETWORK22 March 2021 6:39 AMShare This – xThe Madras High Court on Monday passed an interim injunction restraining the National Commission for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes and the Tamil Nadu State Human Rights Commission from taking cognizance of the complaints made by former High Court judge CS Karnan against the officers probing the abusive videos case against him, and also the judges deciding the case and the…Your free access to Live Law has expiredTo read the article, get a premium account.Your Subscription Supports Independent JournalismSubscription starts from ₹ 599+GST (For 6 Months)View PlansPremium account gives you:Unlimited access to Live Law Archives, Weekly/Monthly Digest, Exclusive Notifications, Comments.Reading experience of Ad Free Version, Petition Copies, Judgement/Order Copies.Subscribe NowAlready a subscriber?LoginThe Madras High Court on Monday passed an interim injunction restraining the National Commission for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes and the Tamil Nadu State Human Rights Commission from taking cognizance of the complaints made by former High Court judge CS Karnan against the officers probing the abusive videos case against him, and also the judges deciding the case and the complainant.A division bench comprising Justices M Sathyanarayanan and AA Nakkiran passed the interim order after forming a prima facie opinion that the complaints amounted to “intimidation”, “threat by using caste name” and were an attempt to “prevent the investigating officers from discharging their duties”.The injunction will remain in force until further orders of the Court. The Court has also issued notices to the National SC/ST Commission and the TNSHRC. The case will be next considered on April 22.The order was passed in an application filed by the Bar Council of Tamil Nadu and Puducherry, after hearing Senior Advocate S.Prabakaran, assisted by CK Chandrasekaran.Karnan was arrested by the Chennai police on December 2 last year in an FIR registered over a series of abusive videos made by him in which he was seen issuing threats of sexual violence against female relations of judges. He has been under custody since his day of arrest. Earlier, the High Court had dismissed his bail application, rejecting his argument that the videos were made out of psychological stress and depression.Later, he made a complaint to the SC/ST Commission and the TNSHRC alleging that the police officers had abused him on the basis of his caste name.The High Court noted that the Supreme Court had earlier punished Karnan for criminal contempt of court for scandalizing the judiciary with his public utterances. In that episode also, Karnana had also made complaints against Supreme Court judges under the SC/ST(Prevention of Atrocities) Act.The High Court observed that Karnan has “once again started to indulge in the very same act” which was frowned upon by the Supreme Court.The order passed by the bench recorded as follows :”… the 9th respondent(Karnan) prima facie appears to have indulged in the acts of intimidation and threat by using the caste name and therefore, making attempts to prevent the officials of the Investigation team to investigate the cases registered against him in a fair and proper manner and in accordance with law”. Observing that a prima facie case for grant of injunction has been made out, the Court ordered :”…there shall be an order of ad-interim injunction restraining the respondents 11 and 12, viz., the National Commission for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes, New Delhi and the Tamil Nadu State Human Rights Commission, from taking cognizance of the representation/compliant given or to be given by the 9th respondent and his associates against respondents 3 to 5, defacto complainant as well as against the Presiding Officers who are dealing with the cases and the officials who are dealing with the matters until further orders”.In November last year, the High Court had ordered the blocking of the objectionable videos posted by KarnanThe abusive videos of Karnan surfaced online in October, following which a group of women lawyers of Madras High Court submitted a complaint before the Chief Justice of India seeking action against Karnan.In May 2017, CS Karnan became the first sitting High Court judge to be held guilty of criminal contempt of court. A constitution bench of the Supreme Court sentenced him to six months imprisonment for his multiple acts of public utterances against judges and interference with the administration of justice. As a judge, Karnan had also extraordinary acts like passing a judicial order to stay his own transfer and issuing an arrest warrant against Supreme Court judges.After the sentence, he went into hiding. He was arrested a month later and was sent to Presidency Jail in Kolkata, where he underwent imprisonment till December 2017Click here to read/download the order Next Story
WUHAN, China (AP) — One year after Wuhan’s lockdown, the central Chinese city has long since sprung back to life. But one dissident remains bunkered in his 14th-floor apartment, afraid the virus will return and China’s communist government will again try to conceal the truth. Zhu Tao’s early fears of the virus were vindicated when the outbreak spun out of control. But now that the situation in Wuhan has returned to something close to normal, Zhu finds himself at odds with his neighbors and the government. Pockets of like-minded people still dot China, from renegade intellectuals in Beijing to a punk cafe in Inner Mongolia. But under the watchful gaze of state cameras and censors, there is little room to organize or connect.
Aware of the fact that the tourism sector will not be able to maintain its business processes and operate without further support from all relevant stakeholders, UHPA appealed to the Government of the Republic of Croatia to extend job support for the next period. Extremely good results of the tourist season, which even the greatest optimists among us could not have predicted, unfortunately did not significantly affect the business of travel agencies. Cover photo: FMedic_photography, Pixabay.com “In recent weeks, we have witnessed information that the tourist season exceeded expectations and that 50% of last year’s turnover was realized, and on the wave of good news we forget about the problems that are still present because the tourism sector is much more complex than the results of arrivals and overnight stays. various stakeholders many of whom do not depend solely on the tourist season. I am thinking primarily of travel agencies, most of which, according to our estimates, will not be able to generate turnover and ensure business liquidity before the summer of 2021.”, emphasizes Fain. “Turističke agencije kao bitan čimbenik turističke ponude u Hrvatskoj ne smiju biti izjednačene s ostalim dionicima u turizmu koji su uspjeli ostvariti rezultate u sezoni, a niti zaboravljene krajem glavne ljetne sezone. Potrebne su transparentne odluke koje će jasno komunicirati niz mjera i odluka kojima će se agencijama osigurati uvjeti za nastavak poslovanja i omogućiti povrat uplaćenih sredstava svim putnicima”, Concludes Fain. Also, agencies dealing with the organization of trips of Croatian guests abroad or foreign guests in Croatia this year were not able to realize the contracted trips due to the closure of borders and travel bans. UHPA se uz produženje mjera za očuvanje radnih mjesta zalaže za rješavanje mnogih otvorenih pitanja s kojima se turističke agencije susreću. Od iznimne je važnosti što prije implementirati već postojeće sigurnosne protokole i kroz pametnu kampanju komunicirati kako je Hrvatska zemlja u kojoj se poštuju sve epidemiološke mjere, nose maske i poštuje propisana socijalna distance. “Travel agencies have gone through the worst, a survey we conducted among members in mid-August shows that agencies have seen a steady decline in revenue since the beginning of the pandemic, and in the last 2 months it has been more than 80%. The current epidemiological situation is not in our favor either, and according to our estimates, most travel agencies are not able to generate turnover that is crucial for preserving jobs and liquidity of business. “, points out Tomislav Fain, president of UHPA. Dio agencija svoju ponudu i proizvode ne veže nužno uz turističku sezonu u Hrvatskoj jer u svojem portfoliu usluga imaju specifična putovanja i proizvode za određene tržišne niše kao što su, primjerice, kongresni turizam i školska putovanja čija realizacija nije usmjerena na ljetne mjesece te je ista ove godine izostala.